Monday 4 February 2013

Paperman.

- I'm not a puppet, I'm a real boy!
- Five shillings for the possessed toy. Take it away.
Shrek.
 
 
Paperman.
A film by Disney.
 
 
 
Honestly, I don't like most of the Disney movies (except of Mulan, Lilo and Stitch, Bambi, Hercules (only because of Hades) and Lion King). They are too sweet for me. Furthermore, if Disney takes an idea from a book it will always change it (The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Little Mermaid). And its main heros are always beautiful, while the evils are ugly.
But I'm talking about Paperman.
Have you watched it? Did you feel déjà vu? I have and I did.
And I don't talk about the pictures.
I'm talking about the main atmosphere.
 
 
Do you know this film? The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore. It's an amazing one.
If you watch both you'll feel that they are quite similar - the atmosphere. How the books are papers are dancing and the metaphore.
But The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore was born in 2011, whereas Paperman is a 2012 movie. You can say that Paperman is different, but in fact it's copied. Copied Pixar, The Fantastic Flying Books and Disney's films as well. The animation is Disney's (a strong déjà vu - the faces of the main heros reminds me other Disney's movies), but this attempt to make a film with a Big Idea... Remember the Pixar's films - all of them full of great ideas, they are independent. But Paperman has got only a Love Idea, which can be good if there wasn't one thing. I'm not a cynic, but I don't like when Boss is represented as the main evil and the papers are throwing out from the window. Of course, we understand "the metaphore" that the main character wants to go out from this boring building, go to his beloved, but this film doesn't show us this idea as Pixar or The Fantastic Flying Books do.
To sum up, Disney watched a lot of Pixar's films and wanted to make its own clever film. But the attempt was weak. The same character, the same movements, but copied ideas (they couldn't even copy them in right way).

6 comments:

  1. The story actually reminds me of Signs, it might be simple and familiar. But what the most shocking part is that Paperman is an 3D animation. That's a perfect combination of 2D and 3D animation and I think we'll see more movies from Disney using the same style of graphics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no. Don't want more movies from Disney. And graphics isn't the most important thing! But the combination is interesting.

      Delete
    2. I know! But this is an new way to combine both 2D and 3D movie together. And I have to say this is an breakthrough of animation!

      Delete
    3. Yes, I agree! It's something new.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoy watching The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore. The music is good, and it is warm hearted. The Mise en scene reminds me the Wizard of Oz due to the contrast of black and white vs coloured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Maybe the directors were influenced by it.

      Delete