Wednesday 12 October 2016

In the woods.

Again, one of the poems of mine.
I wanted to maintain a Gothic atmosphere similar to some old fairy tales I read as a child.
I want to collect them in my hand, hinting at some psychological aspects of the tales, which do relate to the modern life, and show them to the reader. I hope I succeeded.


I beg you, my darling, don't cry - it will pass.
Don't follow your friend, cut your feet in the grass.
I promise to look back on the margin at last
Afore the first step to the woods.

The wind takes my hand, it pushes me inside;
Soon I'll be left with no friends on my side.
The first has her way, while wind cannot hide
Amidst curvy trees in green hoods.

The first step is not always the worst step at all.
Apparently it's just a response to the call.
Light as it is, it warns you will crawl,
Leaving a track in the woods.

To get more complicated and wavy it tends -
A frightful sign pointing at several ends.
But having a hope to greet both of my friends
I dream to emerge from the woods.


Anna Kavan, 2016.

The poem is well-protected and must not be copied neither used without my name included as the author and my permission to post it. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment