Thursday 13 October 2016

My friend Simon. A poem.

I think one of the best way to learn something is joking - in it, summarizing it, or even before starting the topic. It is indeed a method making it easier to memorise something as it evokes emotions - positive emotions...


I have a friend with whom I talk.
He helps with plots to splice.
Despite he likes the prose to chalk,
This joke is his advice.
He always smiles, so does he now -
Infective this, presume -
And always knows the best way how
To hide a witchcraft broom.
In languages he is well versed,
And thinks no pause is dull.
Guess, I had to say at first,
That Simon is a skull?

Anna Kavan, 2016.

The poem is well-protected and must not be copied neither used without my name included as its author and my permission to post it. Thank you!


So what is a joke? It is a ruining of your expectations. It is a surprise and that's why most jokes are not seemed as funny as they were when you heard them first time. The presented poem is a double entendre (sort of), as it suggests two meanings at the beginning: one may imagine a human or an imaginary friend at least, but ending with a punch line, crossing out other images. 

It can be also considered as dark humour, but is it for real? What is dark humour at all? I wrote an essay on this topic and it seems to be many things. Can one place this poem on a dark humour shelf only because of the "skull" word application or because the reader may imagine a skull made of organic material of, for example, 22 or less bones? In the matter of perspective and only it, I will give you, if you will allow me to, some extra information which might change the poem "shelf". Ready? Simon is a plaster model of a skull. So can it be considered as a dark humour example only because of the image it makes?

No comments:

Post a Comment