Friday 5 October 2012

Semiotics of the Kitchen

Today I've got a curious video.
Martha Rosler's Semiotics of the Kitchen - 1975 


How do you think, what is it about?
I think, this is a feminist film. We can see that this woman is really bored about beeing in the kitchen, working all day. She is tired, moreover, she is angry! This time women couldn't have a choice to be or not to be housewives, they just were. This woman is acting abruptly, she is like a robot without any feeling in the beginning. but she is getting them during the film. So, in the end she is really scary, showing us her opinion about cooking.
Well, what is the word "semiotics" mean? Clever Google will display us the Wiki page first, but we don't look only for basic information, we want to go deeper, so we are going to next pages.
So, "semiotics" is a science, which working with signs and symbols.
 A sign has both a signifier and a signified.
 Signifier is a physical sign, like "orange".















Sighified is a concept/idea/abstract, like pictures in your head. There isn't any logical connection between them, but, if they are together, they'll create a sign.

________________________________________________________

What about tomorrow, I'm going to show you some of my photos. I hope, you'll enjoy them. Plus there is going to be a short film. See you.

4 comments:

  1. Your photo is also a signifier :) Unfortunately you cannot display the signified..The signified is in your head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about it! And chose the wrong one... I'll write it!
    The funniest thing, that in the beginning I wrote the correct one, but then I began to check it in the Internet and was confused. Never, never again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, it takes some time to get clear what these technical words mean....there will be more to come! by the way, it would be good if you subscribe to my blog: if you enter your email address and submit (see right of my page) you will get updates by email when i reply to your comments. You should add the same feature to your page too..Can you work out how to do this? Go to "design/layout/add gadget"..You can begin to customise your page here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've already got the emails, but, anyway, I'll do it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete